I scream, you scream, we all scream...because none of us can eat ice cream?! No dairy = no ice cream. This can be quite a sad predicament for a vegan, especially once per month for approximately 4-7 days. =) Craving that cold, sweet and creamy treat, yet your ethical and physical limitations require you to go without? *sigh*
Have you ever really looked into what is actually in cream and milk? It's nasty...I won't gross you with the details since we are here today to discuss a delicious ice cream alternative. Just know, if you get the itch...don't scratch it. You don't want what they're serving in those tubs! :/
Still, what's a veg-head to do when the sweet-ice-cream-tooth hits? Never fear! Have some Blueberry Almond "Ice Cream" with 30 Second Raw Ganache, my dear!!!
"Ice cream" can be adapted to any palate's tastes. It's so fun and healthy...if blueberries ain't yo thang, add in nuts, cacao nibs, cocoa powder, etcetera, etcetera! Once you understand the basics of "ice cream" it's easy to make it eleventy-billion ways on the fly.
Quick, simple, easy, and most importantly delish! Now, we can all scream for "ice cream"! (Yes, I'm aware that was lame...I'm tired. No judging.)
In other news, the fantastic thing about this ganache is it acts like that magic shell stuff kiddos love so much. Once it hits the ice cream, it hardens into a crispy, chocolatey shell. Even if your kiddos want to traditional milk-ice-cream, you can swap their traditional chocolate sauce with this healthy alternative! (By the way, this ganache ROCKS on cupcakes, raw brownies and cake breads...oh man, so good!)
Blueberry Almond "Ice Cream" with 30 Second Raw Chocolate Ganache
* Makes two servings of ice cream, and enough chocolate ganache to really indulge & over do it. It's raw and healthy...so technically you can't over do it...I digress. Enjoy!
Blueberry Almond "Ice Cream"
2 cups frozen chopped bananas
1 - 2 tbsp almond milk (optional - see note)
2 heaping tbsp almond butter
1/2 cup thawed frozen blueberries, or fresh if they are in season
1 tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes
1 tsp maple syrup (optional - if needed for extra sweetness - but you won't need it!)
1. Process bananas in a food processor or high speed blender until just starting to cream together. If your bananas looks like frozen space dots (remember those?!) add the almond milk to help the process along.
2. Once the bananas look like they are starting to turn smooth, add your almond butter, coconut flakes, and optional maple syrup (like I said, add if you want it crazy sweet...but you won't need it. Especially if you're topping it with ganache!!). Process until smooth.
3. Add the blueberries, and pulse 5-6 times until the bluberries are just incorporated in and slightly smashed.
4. Scoop into bowls or mugs and top with 30 Second Raw Chocolate Ganache (below), or fresh fruit!
30 Second Raw Chocolate Ganache
1 tbsp almond butter
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp cacao powder
2 tbsp maple syrup
1. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, and drizzle onto whatever you feel needs a chocolate rush! For a thicker ganache, leave out the coconut oil!
So tasty. Soooo right! Silly ice cream kept melting next to the windows as I was taking pics :( Oh well, still tastes amazing! Enjoy! =)