Lately I've been really digging a few vegan foods that really make me say mmmm...had to share!
1. Parsnips. My new fav versatile veggie. (What's a parsnip you say? It's a root veggie..more specifically, those daunting white colored carrot looking things in the produce section!)
My latest fav ways to prepare it...
Yummy Parsnip Sushi "Rice"...yep all veggies! No actual rice!
Parsnip Fries...So so so amazing
2. Adding frozen peaches to my morning smoothies...and using fresh squeezed juice instead of almond milk...much lighter smoothie!
3. Snausages! (aka Field Roast Vegan Smoked Apple Sage Sausages). My son loooves these, he thinks they are legit hot dogs. Carnivore hubby loves them too!! A great way to transition to a meat-less night at home with the fam!
4. Garden of Eatin' Blue Tortilla Chips...so crunchy and delish...
5. Sunflower sprouts! They literally go in everything because they are so mild and tasty. On salads, sammies, in smoothies, juices, you name it. Amazing little sprouted wonders!
6. All-berry smoothies with hemp protein powder...love these on days when I want something really sweet and bright, but filling! (I hate that the glass in this pic looks yellowish...weird!)
7. Ezekiel 4:9 Low Sodium sprouted bread...vegan, filling, nutritious and delicious. I don't know why I ever ate regular white bread. This shiz rocks!
I have at least one of any of the above mentioned items on the regular (daily). In fact, I was amused at my lunch when I realized it had nearly half of the list, all on one plate.
Behold: The CAST (cucumber, avocado, sprouts and tomato) sandwich on Ezekiel bread with blue tortilla chips on the side. Clearly, I have an addiction...heeeelp! =)
*Makes two cucumber, avocado, sprout and tomato sandwiches!
4 slices sprouted bread, I used Ezekiel 4:9 low sodium
1/2 regular cuke, peeled and sliced into rounds
1/2 cup sunflower sprouts, packed
1 tomato, sliced
2 tbsp vegan mayo, I like Vegenaise
Salt & Pepper, to taste
*optional: a delish side of blue corn tortilla chips!
To assemble: Spread 1tbsp of vegan mayo on one slice of bread, and half of the avocado flesh on another slice for each sandwich. Divide the veggies and toppings between the two sandwiches, and pile it on high! Sprinkle with salt & pepper for flavor. Delight in your light, yet satisfying lunch!
The crunch derived from the cucumbers and sprouts in this sandwich more than makes up for the missing bacon and lettuce in a traditional BLT. A big serving of healthy fats (avocado) and filling sprouted bread, will make you feel full but not heavy. One of my favorite quick, simple and healthy lunches these days!
What are your favorite vegan foods right now?